The "One" I've Been

Just the other day, I visited someone in the hospital on my way home from work.  Upon arriving to her room, I saw that her parents were already there - flipping through TV channels and not really talking to their daughter, perhaps unsure of what to say to her.  

Slouched on the edge of a hospital bed, sullen, she stared at the floor.  As I moved closer to sit beside her parents I saw she was anxious.  Tremulous and unsteady.  Confused.  I knew what this was.  This, though, wasn't like every time before.  

Now, she was older.  75 lbs.  Five feet, 1 inch. Black sneakers that were at least 20 years old - surely dug out from one of her parents' closets at home. Black tights that let me know her legs could not have been much wider than my arms.  A shirt that fit her as well as a garbage bag ever could.  A jacket that hadn't been washed in who-knows-how-long, hanging off her shoulders because there was barely any body to cling to.  Black hair thinned, matted and perhaps unwashed because with the $15 she had in her purse she couldn't afford to buy shampoo just yet.  Big-framed glasses that though they looked to be 10 years old they let her see - though she looked no one in the eyes and barely noticed anything around her.  With no muscle, no fat there were veins on her arms that appeared to map roads seen in years of wandering.  This was all she knew.  Medically, she was a train-wreck.  A number of psychiatric issues, unreliable means of transportation, and no insurance plan - she was struggling socially, as well.  She hadn't made the best choices in her life thus far.  Maybe she realized that, maybe she didn't.   

Three years of medical school have flown by...and I have seen countless patients like her.  I've become jaded.  Cynical even.  I accepted that it was the norm to think "He'll be back tomorrow seeking more pain meds" or "She's just here for free food and shelter."  "Sure we're taking care of their withdrawal today but they're just gonna bounce back to us in a few weeks."  I had heard things like this from other students, nurses, residents, and even from my attendings.  

I'm uncertain of how much time had passed before I decided to go home.  Picking up my bag, I headed to leave - stopping in the doorway when I saw that the 'one-to-one' who had just been assigned to her was making her way to the room.  I leaned against the doorway and listened as this woman, Andrea, recognizing that the patient's parents were nothing short of overwhelmed began to talk to them.

From my neck to my cheeks spread this familiar feeling of uncomfortable warmth as I was moved by this woman's words of encouragement, of understanding, of hope.  A thin film of tears settled over my eyes, waiting for me to blink so they were free to fall to the ground as I listened to this woman instill these parents with the belief that no matter what happens in the future - whether today or three years from now - their daughter would be okay.  Somehow.   

As I looked over at their daughter I realized that though she may have heard all this, she wasn't really listening.  And that was okay.  Ultimately, whether she found a way to cease all self-pity, to move past mistakes she had made, and to rid herself the regret born from her missed opportunities was entirely up to her.  If she were discharged from the hospital the next day and she chose to go "home" and drink, that was her choice too.  That's not what mattered most in this moment. 

I realized, at this time, it was just as important to provide support to these parents as it was to provide medical care to this patient.  "Ain't nobody got time for that", you must be thinking.  Sometimes, though, all someone needs to feel better is one question answered, one "How are you holding up?", one "We can get through this."  I left the hospital that day saddened that I had forgotten this.  Spending my medical-student-days running in and out of hospital rooms, I had come to treat my patients like puzzles that once solved, I would forget about.  I was ashamed.
     
In less than one year, I'll be starting my intern year - surely as frazzled and overworked as my co-interns will be.  If I at least once remember this experience during that time, perhaps I can be more like the physician I want to be and less like the "one" I've been.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And After

Thanksgivings Past

To Have & Make Room